Friday, March 14, 2008

4 weeks to go?

Today is exactly 4 weeks from my due date. (Another 4 weeks of this? You've got to be kidding me!)

At my appointment with one of our midwives today, I was told that I could stop the labor-stopping drugs and I filled out my portion of the "disability" paperwork. (So I can get a portion of my pay from the state while I'm on leave.)

However, the main thing accomplished at today's appointment was an update on the status of the practice we've been going to since I found out I was pregnant. A couple of months ago, we found out that the supervising MD at the practice was leaving; she was tired of the business side of the practice. (I have to say I can't blame her there.) The sucky part is that a midwifery practice can't exist in conjunction with the hospital without a supervising MD. Since we heard that news, it has been a complete roller coaster: we're closing, we're not closing, we've hired new people, we're signing a new contract with the hospital, no we're not. Augh! I know that our midwives realize that we patients are going to have our babies whether or not they have settled their business, but I'm not so sure that the hospital administrators get that.

The latest is this: The practice as we know it is closing at the end of March. The MD is seeing the last of her patients next Friday. One of the two midwives is going to a different practice in the area, and the other is in negotiations with the hospital to keep a practice similar to the existing one open. We have chosen to stay with the midwife who is working with the hospital.

Chances get slimmer by the day that I will deliver this baby with the help of a doctor or midwife that I know and trust. The three women that I was expecting to deliver with, I trust quite a bit, but by the end of March, two of them will be gone, and the on-call schedule will be filled in with doctors and/or midwives that I've never met. The midwife we saw this morning said she had delivered 6 babies already this week. I suspect that these mothers and babies are quite aware of the fact that things are totally in limbo and felt the need to do their thing before the shit hits the fan. And it will, one way or another.

Anyway, I'm glad that Cleo kind of got things going early -- she must know all about the practice closing. Now that I'm off the drugs, she could start that labor stuff up again at any time. (I'm hoping that happens before the end of the month.) I'm feeling good about things... I've gained 5 pounds in the last week. Oops! I guess I shouldn't be eating ice cream 24/7. (just kidding) The belly has been feeling very tight the last two days, and I don't think I would be a happy camper if I was still working. Even just sitting here typing up our birth plan and this blog post for a few hours today have been pretty uncomfortable. I took my regular early evening nap today, and am thriled that I don't have to wake up at 3am to take the meds anymore. Waking up to pee every few hours is very different than waking up to an alarm. I fall back to sleep pretty easily after going to the bathroom, but the last week and a half, I have not been able to fall back to sleep after the alarm goes off.

Cleo is kicking me just to remind me to get off the danged computer and eat the dinner that Andy put in front of me 30 minutes ago. :) He's been absolutely wonderful throughout the pregnancy, and I can't wait to introduce him to our girl. I have my baby shower tomorrow with my Humboldt girlfriends, which I am really looking forward to. Okay, dinner.

Well, one last thing... check out our baby pool: http://www.expectnet.com/games/CleopatraJones

Now dinner.

No comments: