Friday, January 23, 2009

OMG! It's really going to be a house!

Keep in mind, this has all happened since last Friday. We've had a lucky streak of gorgeous weather, and our contractors pulled together and really kicked ass!

By the end of last week, the foundation was filled in and the PEX tubing was laid.

The PEX tubing will carry warm water and heat the whole house and garage through the floor. The garage won't actually house cars for awhile... it will hold my printing equipment, so it will be nice to have a warm, dry place to print.

On Monday, Alchemy had the brown concrete pumped in over the PEX. They finished it to a nice smooth surface. (Thanks, Amy, for these brown concrete pics! I'm charging my camera battery more often now.)

That afternoon, they topped it with a cure mat and finished up the foundation in the garage.

Here's a closeup of the concrete color. Of course, it will look different on your computer monitor than it does in real life, but it gives you an idea. I think it looks like chocolate pudding.

On Wednesday morning, the regular old gray concrete floor was poured in the garage. I apologize for not getting Art, Eric and Mike's best sides, but they were hard at work and I didn't want to bother them anymore than I had to.

We put our hands in the concrete in the corner of the garage. Andy went first...

Then it was Ava's turn. She wouldn't flatten out her hand, so she left a paw print in the concrete. It's still pretty darn cute. (Thanks, Steve, for taking these photos while we wrestled the baby!)

I'd SO rather have my picture taken than touch this cold goopy stuff! Cheese!

I went last. It was fun, and it really gave me a sense of ownership. (That, and one of the guys called me "Boss" as I walked out there last week.)

The final prints. Set in stone. Yikes!

Dustin is happy to be working on the job site again...

...and so is Koa! Thursday, lumber was delivered and Adam and Dustin framed the south wall.

Today Adam and Dustin continued to frame, and as far as I could tell, they got the rest of the perimeter walls put up.

It's amazing how the feeling of the house has changed from stage to stage. When it was just a slab, it felt small. When the PEX was laid out, the wall layout had been spray painted on the floor and the house felt small. Now the real floor is in, some of the walls are up with doors and windows roughed in, and it feels bigger and livable. It's really going to start looking like our house soon! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things are really taking shape! Radiant heat is really great, we put it in our new home and love it. The colored concrete was a great choice as well.

Best of luck with the remaining project.

Thee Alchemist said...

We had fun working on your foundation. Your a good little boss Ava, don't be too hard on the framers...........
We'll see ya soon.

Sara said...

That is so super exciting! Love the paw print.

Kerri Rae said...

I am so excited for you guys... it's looks GREAT! What is the size of the house compared to your current housing situation?

I also have radient heat in my apartment and it is phenomenal... you'll love it!

Heidi said...

Those were some great accomplishments in a very short time! A great thing about Hum Co construction companies is that they really know how to take advantage of the breaks in between the rain and make amazing progress, even in January. Not like here! I can't wait to visit and lie down on your floor when the radiant is running! :)

J said...

Man, your floor is making me hungry! This is awesome, VERY happy for you guys!