Saturday, September 8, 2007

APPROVED!!!

Well, we're finally over the biggest hurdle we've come to yet. The Planning Commission approved our lot split plan as is. That's the short version of it... here's how it actually went down:

On Sept. 6, 2007, Andy picked me up after work and we drove to Eureka. We planned on getting some take-out sushi for dinner and eating it at the meeting. We arrived at the sushi place just at 5:30pm, and the one teenage employee was closing up. Bummer. So, we headed to the Co-Op for a quick bite. We ran around the store, picking up random food items since the deli was cleaned out and quickly headed for the checkout line. The checkout was excruciatingly slow. Andy offered to bag the groceries of the lady in front of me because the checker was so slow. It helped, but it still took 10 minutes to get 2 people (including myself and my 6 items) through the line.

The meeting started at 6, and we barely made it in time. We walked into the Board of Supervisors' chambers, and saw Andy's parents and DJ. I also noticed "Neighbor X," the neighbor who had raised a stink 2 days before. My heart started racing. Why was he there if not to testify against our project? Andy and I end up sitting next to his folks and DJ, and right in front of Mr. X. There was also another neighbor there, though I've never met him and couldn't pick him out of the crowd. Apparently, he was on our side, which was nice to know. Andy and I quickly chomp down some food and rustle our bags before the meeting is called to order.

So, the dude starts the meeting, we wipe the crumbs from the corners of our mouths, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and get down to business. The dude makes a motion to move certain more time-consuming agenda topics to the end of the meeting. Done. Next item: he goes through the list, asking for a show of hands if people wish to testify on a certain issue. He gets to our project, #5 on the agenda, and my heart is literally pounding out of my chest. Nothing is said, and I want nothing more than to turn around and make sure Mr. X does not raise his hand, but I resist. Heart still pounding, because I don't know for sure... did he or didn't he? The dude gets through the rest of the agenda items, and recites back the agenda items to which no one wanted to testify. 2, 4, 7... WHAT? I didn't think my heart could beat any faster if I were trying to keep up with Andy in a 5K! One of the other dudes on the Commission pipes up and says the dude skipped #5. THANK YOU!!! The dude re-reads the list... 2, 4, 5, 7, etc. These items are approved without controversy. HOORAY! The dude says people that are in attendance regarding these items are free to leave, so we go, smiling from ear to ear.

We still have plenty of other hurdles to clear, but it looks as though they'll have to wait until spring. For now, we need to get the final map drawn by a licensed surveyor, get the map recorded by the County, get approved for a loan, finalize the building plans, choose a contractor, etc. So much to do, and it feels like forever until spring, but I know it'll be here before we know it.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yay!! So happy for you.

Matthew Baker said...

Oh my goodness! Things are finally going your way! We are so happy for you guys. You deserve nothing but the best!